I can put the cord away...
Today I discovered iTunes Wi-Fi Sync because my husband asked, "Is there any way I can sync without this being plugged in?" The light bulb went off and I remembered that was a new feature of iOS 5. Naturally I had to test it out.
The following is courtesy of PCmag.com
How to set up iTunes Wireless Sync
1. Make certain that your computer and iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch are connected to the same Wi-Fi signal.
2. Connect your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to a Mac or PC via USB. Launch iTunes if it doesn’t do so automatically.
3. Highlight your iDevice in the sidebar.
4. Click "Summary" in the menu bar. Scroll down to the "Options" section.
5. Check the "Sync with this (iOS device) over Wi-Fi" box. Click "Apply."
6. Detach your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
7. Initiate an iTunes Wi-Fi Sync by tapping Settings > General > iTunes Wi-Fi Sync > Sync Now on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. Or, plug it into an outlet.
Cool beans! Gotta love that!